Saturday, January 21, 2012

Writer's Workshop may be possible afterall

         It is the end of the second quarter and I am seeing such improvement in writing. We did an expository writing lesson about penguins this week and they could not believe how quickly and hour went by. The were so into their stories and pictures, using their personal dictionaries, which have been gathering dust until now, and sharing with each other. It was amazing to watch since this group of students came to first not able to write much of a sentence. I have allowed lot of free writing just to get them to write. I gave them journal books to make it more "real", but it has been a slow go.  I'm not sure what the catalyst was for this change, maybe they were just ready.


        We have been reading about penguins, making a concept board as we go along. Thursday we made a Penguins can-have-are chart from Mrs. Jumps Penguin unit. Then using the 4 squares concept each chose 3 things from the chart and one I think... idea about penguins (a concluding sentence). They went back and added an adjective to at least one sentence, then copied their stories to a nice paper. I was even able to conference with some about their stories. WooWoo!


2 comments:

  1. I am your first follower and a 1st grade teacher. I have tons and tons of *freebies* that I would love for you to come check out when you get the chance. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather I'm so glad you found my little site. It has been a bit of a challenge to learn how to set it up. I have gone to your site and I do enjoy your inspirational insights. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete