Saturday, November 17, 2012

TGIF before vacation

       We made it thru the week and ended with a very successful Pumpkin Tasting. Since we have been doing many activities involving pumpkins ( I discovered that my little ones think pumpkins are for Halloween jack-o-lanterns and pumpkin pies come from the store) I decided to have parents bring in anything made from pumpkins. Some of my parents really did some scrambling and we had some great treats. The favorite was Pumpkin Milkshakes  made from pumpkin puree and vanilla ice cream blended together with some spices and a dollop of whip cream. YUMMMY! We also had pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, muffins, bread, tarts, cheesecake and even pumpkin shaped rice krispie treats. I was busy doing crafts, monitoring parents and keeping track of kids so I didn't get to take pictures so I'll have to wait for my Photo Mom to send me some. But here is the picture of our turkey craft.


These turkeys are "stuffed" with a bag of rice and come with a recipe for leftover turkey casserole. I have had this pattern for years so I have no idea where it came from. But it always so much fun.

The recipe is simple:

Gobble-Good Turkey Casserole
1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can Cream of Celery soup
1 package onion soup mix
1 cup uncooked rice
1 and 1/2 cups of milk
2 or 3 cups of leftover turkey

Combine all ingredients in a large casserole dish. Bake covered 45 minutes at 350 degrees.


All in all it was a pretty fun day. I even put up one Christmas BB to get a head start when we return. Meanwhile I am packing to go to a 2 day conference and will return just in time to make Thanksgiving dinner. The problem will be that my head will be into making activities for my class not cleaning my house (which is never my 1st thought) and cooking a big meal. I think I need a pause button.

For the 4 weeks, I  am planning activities around The Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett, Symbols of Christmas, and The Christmas Story.  I'll try to post next week.

The Gingerbread stories I use for comparison to the Gingerbread Man are:




Interesting twists to the original story.

Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment