Saturday, January 19, 2013

Missing Work and a Freebie

The flu bug has hit my class! I had 2 that went home at the beginning of the week and as they came back 3 more were missing! It's hard to teach and reteach lessons and make sure all are gettin' it! Well the weather isn't helping either. Now I do know that it is winter because the calendar say so, but here in Southern California winter is in the 60's. But this past week we have been coming to school and it is between 30 to 39 degrees! And its only getting up to 58 in the afternoon if you are standing in the sun. Is any one feeling my pain? Hey I know I'm not gettin' any sympathy out there! But here's the thing... My little kiddos are not coming to school with any jackets (some maybe have sweatshirts) because they can't get it that is COLD! outside. And where are their parents? They are the ones dropping them off wearing shorts!

Well to help keep track of ALL that paperwork that needs to be sent home and completed, I created a little packet with a detective theme. (Get it? The work keeps going missing!) 


 I know I'm not alone in this paperwork dilemma ...and as a thanks for ALL that Caring I'm feelin', I'm sharing it with you. It's  a freebie available in my Tpt store.

The Case of the Missing Work








I know I'm a little late but I wanted to Join in on Doodle Bugs "Five for Friday".  I don't 
really have pictures because for some reason I used my camera instead of my phone and then left my camera at school. UHG!
Anyway Don't judge me... remember the cold weather I'm enduring...
Doodle Bugs Teaching
1. After all that gabbing I just did about the COLD weather, today, Saturday (Yeah!) it is up to 72 degrees 
and now I am really not getting any sympathy!

2. We are studying penguins, as many of you are, and yesterday we are walking in line coming back from lunch and almost all my little kiddos are waddling! They were the cutest things and No I didn't have even my phone with me to snap a pic.

3. I am desperately trying to organize my files, especially my seasonal stuff. I have used the cardboard file boxes or when I'm really trying to save money I have the school secretary save me the boxes the copy paper comes in. But they don't hold up well, maybe because I over stuff),  they look yukky, and all those little bugs get into them and chew holes in my paper. (Do you have problems with Silverfish?)

Well behold Staples was having a 100% rebate on these very nice plastic letter size file boxes. 
I bought 2 (the max you could buy) and will get it all back on my rewards card and then can use that to buy more ink!  Its like getting it for free! [Thats the justification I am using to my husband.]

4. Have you heard about Student Treasures? They will send you a book publishing kit, the students write a story, you send it back and they will "Publish it" with a hard cover and send it back FREE!!! The only catch is that you have to send a form home giving the parents the option to purchase a copy for $19.95. But even if no buys one, the class still gets a free copy. (14 parents did buy one in my class).

F

But it was so totally worth the effort. I have never had my kiddos work so quietly writing and illustrating their page... they even wrote their final copy in ink! WOOHOO! 

5. Mother Daughter Mani/Pedi day. My daughter made appointments for us to go get some 
pretty feet so we can wear our flip flops in this gorgeous weather. I never spend time on my toes in the winter cuz they are in shoes and no one can see. AND now that I have my document camera ( Did I say I LOVE IT!!), well hands are right there. It's also nice to be buddies with your daughter. (I am so lucky!)

So that's my five and the end to this VERY LONG blog. Have a great weekend and enjoy the extra day for those who have one.

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog through the linky. I love The Case of Missing Work idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked for me real well last week. I would put the envelope on the desk of the absent child and the student next to that desk would put the papers in as I passed them out. End of day I just wrote out the slip for the ones I wanted finished and TA DA done!
      Thank you for visiting.

      Delete