Saturday, July 13, 2013

I Am Speechless!

I Cannot believe it!
I was so surprised and honored 
when Laken commented on my Blog!
She was nominating me for the Liebster Award.
WOW, twice in 2 weeks and I am meeting so many new friends who have great blogs full of ideas.

If you have not visited 
Laken Harell at Whole Brain Teaching in the Ladybug Club 
you must! She has so many links to all kinds of educational resources! 
Get a cuppa of your favorite drink, and settle in... 
cuz you're going to be there a while.

The Liebster Award is an award given to blogs with less than 200 followers. If you are nominated, you get to answer questions about yourself so that everyone gets to know you a little better. I also get to nominate other bloggers. As much as I love receiving the recognition,I really get a kick out of
recognizing others. It is an opportunity to continue to grow our community of 
proud, talented educators and connect our past, present, and future successes as well as our struggles and encouragement.
Therefore
 my nominees are:
1. Alisha @ First Grade Follies
4. Laura @ First Grade Spies

The Rules to Accept the Award:


  • Link back to the blog that nominated me
  • Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers
  • Answer the questions posted for you by your nominator
  • Share 11 random facts about yourself
  • Create 11 questions for your nominees
  • Contact your nominees and let them know you nominated them
Your Questions Are:
1. What is your favorite pen to use?
2. What is your favorite read aloud and why?
3. When did you know that you wanted to be a teacher?
4. Shoes, Purses, or Accessories?
5. What was the last book you read?
6. What is the one thing that would like to add to your classroom this year?
7.What is your best management tool you use in your class?
8. Early Bird or Night Owl?
9. What is your favorite time of year to teach?
10. What is your favorite grade to teach and why?
11. Why did you become a teacher?


Now onto Laken's questions: (This is not easy, I'm typically very shy. I'm the kid that sits in the back of the class and prays that you won't get called on. But you are all friends, so...)


1. What is your favorite teaching book you've read and why?
There are several. The Daily 5 by Gail Boushey & Joan Moser because it gives a framework that I helps fit whole teaching, independent work, and one on one time together to make the most of my teaching time for each student.
Conversations by Reggie Routman. This was one textbook that I really use. It is full of strategies for teaching, learning, and evaluating.
And I like books from Debbie Miller and Debbie Diller, both have practical ideas that you adapt right away and use in your class.

2. Who was your favorite teacher and what did they do so special that made an impact on your life?
Mrs. Samartino. She was the first teacher that made me feel like I was somebody and that I could do anything if I tried.  She was my 4th grade teacher.

3. What is your favorite time of the year in the classroom?
Fall which is funny here in Southern California because we don't really have a traditional fall. But there is something about Pumpkins and the fall colors that just bring out the magic and you know the "holiday season" is coming.

4. When you were a kid, what kind of student were you?
I was always very shy, I think because we moved so much I always felt like the "new" kid.I I also was pleaser, so I pushed myself to my best to make the teacher happy. Did somebody say kiss-up or was that in my head?

5. What was your favorite dollar store/target find that you have used in your classroom?
The first year that Target came out with school stuff I grabbed up great pocket charts in every color (They were much heavier that the ones last year).  Last year I scored on the plastic pouches you put a paper inside and they use dry erase markers on the outside. I was able to get enough for each student. I hope they have them again because this year I will have 4 more kids that last year. I also bought the little expandable card boxes for each student to hold their word wall cards and spelling cards. They use these in computer to practice keyboarding at the same time they practice their spelling.

6. Do you have any special sayings that you say to your students throughout the day that they will remember you by when they are no longer in your classroom?
I'm sure I do. We do a lot of charts when transitioning. The one they think is the funniest is when they interrupt my group time or they are tattling informing on someone, I say "do I need to call 911? Is someone throwing up?" 

7. If you could be an animal, who would you be and why?
My dog because he has the life! A scratch here and morsel there, no worries.

8. What is your favorite educational website/blog?
Whole Brain Teaching

9. Think back to your favorite artistic activity you have done with a previous class. What subject was it and was it successful?
It was probably science or social studies. I try to tie a craftivity with writing or group project. I think the favorite one was my Candy Cane Lesson. Labeling a Candy Cane they drew while eating a Candy Cane certainly would be memorable.

10. If you could meet any famous actress/actor/singer, who would it be and why? 
I truly don;t know how to answer this one. 

11. What is one form of technology that you could use more help with and how do you want to use it in the classroom?
I teach at a small private school and I just got a document camera last year. So I'm still trying to discover the many ways I can use it. I also have be using my smart phone for music cues during transition, but I would love to get some i pods or i pads. The upper grades received smart boards last year so maybe...

So that is a little more about me. I did 11 random facts last time so you can check that post if you are really wanting to know more. LOL







1 comment:

  1. Pauline,
    My favorite teacher was my 4th grade teacher too, Mr. Walters. We called Alaska, got the dimensions, and built an actual dog sled in the classroom! Then we tested it with his dogs! It was awesome. Funny how those teachers that challenge you mentally and physically stick with you! Thank you for the shout out to my blog. I am realizing that the blogging world is really a whole world I'm passionate for now. I can't wait to meet my fellow bloggers one day!
    Laken
    Whole Brain Teaching in the Ladybug Club

    ReplyDelete