Saturday, April 12, 2014

Five for Friday, ah.. er... Saturday!



I am finally linking up with Five for Friday, so please forgive me for being late. We finally got through our week long tests, Easter projects, and our pen-pal letters AND made it to SPRING BREAK!!

Yes! Nine (9) days off! And my to do list is longer than the hours available in those 9 days. So I will have to prioritize... 
But 1st here's a look backward...
After testing all morning, my little firsties were wiggly, fidgety, and Carazzzy!
I needed to find something for the afternoons that was fun but still somewhat educational. We had been doing Easter Projects but it wasn't keeping my boys (2/3 of my class) very focused.
I stumbled on Nancy Vandenburg's, from First Grade WOW,
Special Math Packet of Fun!
(She always has great ideas!)
She had a giant Math Game, The Best Nest, that would practice the understanding of place value.



They pick two numbers and have decide what number they want to make, and then decide which "egg" to assign that number while keeping it in number order. Dilemma: There are only 15 eggs.
So I quickly printed up 15 eggs; Her's are nicer looking.
Put them in sheet protectors; remember I am doing this on the fly.
And for a little extra twist (because I am also suppose to be teaching P.E.) 
I add that we will do jumping jacks for the number in the tens place
and knee bends (don't even know if that is the correct name) for the ones place. 
So 56 would be 5 jumping jacks and 6 knee bends.
We had a blast and also learned a lot about place value.

Since I have to do PE this year we have been doing more brain breaks
which can count toward PE time.
I know many of you have heard of GoNoodle.
We love growing our mascot as well as our brains.
I have also discovered a new app
called ThingLink.
Use ThingLink to instantly add video and text to images. Create unforgettable greetings, interactive travel photos, and capture best moments. Share images to your friends on Twitter or Facebook-and communicate in new ways.
I added a video and some labels to a picture in just a few minutes.
I can specialize teaching visuals to my lessons.


Craft for the week - Stain glass pictures! 

Cut 2 pieces of clear contact paper
6.5" X 9.5"
Use cellophane paper cut into small chunks for the color.
Cut a shape out of construction paper for your focus.
(I used 3 crosses for Easter)
Leave the edges of contact paper clear of cellophane paper.
After putting the pieces of cellophane paper,
Stick another piece of contact paper over picture, sticky sides together.
I added a black construction paper frame to make the colors pop and it gives it a more finished appearance.
And this is what is taking up most of my free time!
3 months old!

Gotta iced coffee, a book, and Spring break begins!

2 comments:

  1. Hey!! I love how you used the PE component in the Best Nest game!!! Genius!!! Thanks for the shout out!! I'm returning the favor!!
    I also looooove the stained glass. Have an awesome spring break!!
    Nancy
    firstgradewow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete