Saturday, November 1, 2014

November Currently

It's Fall!  It's Suddenly Colder, well for two days and then we have another heat wave coming! So I'll enjoy the fall leaves that decorate this months Currently and pretend that I live in a place that actually has Fall!


Listening: I finally loaded the dishes because we had no knives in the drawer. It has been a busy week and apparently I am the only one in this house that knows how to wash dishes or load the dishwasher! 
Well to my surprise my hubby just turned it on. 
Music to my ears....
until I saw that there is still a pile of dishes in the sink. 
Oh well at least I will have a clean knife for breakfast.

Loving: We actually had rain last night! and today! and tonight!
Last night it was kinda spooky...
On Halloween Night, the wind began to howl (well it was blowing) and the rain began to, well rain, and suddenly my bedroom door blew open...and no one was there.  
Well that was all that happened but it felt spooky!

Thinking: I should be doing report cards!
I have graded all my papers, and all I have left is to do the comments. 
Its hard to say all you need to say, in a nice way, when you only have a certain number letter spaces to use. 
And then try being positive about that one kid that is not low enough, not trying enough, just doing enough to get by. 
Then how do you have a reading grade when they don't read yet. 
I do not like report cards, Sam I Am!

Wanting: My formal observation is Tuesday! 
I just found out on Wednesday. 
But I had 14 parents coming to help with out Big Pumpkin Extravaganza Math Investigation on Friday, the last day of the quarter, when all the assessments need to be done. 
Halloween Day seemed like a good day to have a pumpkin investigation when we planned this a month and a half ago. 
Who knew it was going to be this crazy. 
Well it has been. One special event after another, new student at the beginning of October and now another at the beginning of November. 
And then I do have my granddaughter that is keeping me busy. 

Needing: A Break! I have all these ideas in my head and I have no time. I have a great little class this year, but I have some very low one and some very, very high ones, with a few in the middle. There is always  a spectrum of levels that have to be met, but this year it's more like islands that are remote from each other. And trying to differentiate, for not very independent first graders, so you can work with the lower ones, has proven to be a challenge.

Reading: WHO has time to read? Our principal has given us two books that we are doing as a book study (Yes I did say 2!)
The Power of Right Believing by Joseph Prince and How Full Is Your Bucket? by Tom Rath and Donald O. Clifton. I told her I read the kids version but she didn't seem impressed!
I'm enjoying both but I can't keep up and grade papers, meet with parents, do report cards, and plan a formal observation.... I think you get my drift.

Now it's your turn! and I can't wait to hear what's happenin' in you neck of the woods....or wherever you are. So go to Farley's Currently at Oh Boy Fourth Grade which is really at Oh Boy 3rd Grade because she changed grades.
 Oh Boy Fourth Grade
Oh Boy Fourth Grade-Currently


5 comments:

  1. I feel your pain when it comes to the dishes - my problem is that I hate to unload the dishwasher, I'll let the clean dishes sit there for days, until the sink is full of dirty dishes that really need to go in the dishwasher! Good luck with your observation, hopefully things will calm down a little now that Halloween is over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my formal observation done a few weeks ago (phew!) -- and I hear you on the 'who has time for reading' point. I read for 10-15 minutes before I go to bed every night. It helps get all the events, worries, concerns, stressors from the day out of my head so I can sleep better (:

    Have a great week!
    Katie
    Living the First Grade Dream

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dishwasher whoas... I totally get it! I also need a break! It's been a long week and I actually need more than a day or two to recover! I am also in deep love with the weather! I'm in North Florida and last fall/winter it was rainy and sticky 75% of the time, but today it was sunny and cool. I am praying this trend continues. Nice to "e-meet" you and best wishes on your observation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine a book study like that! Do they give you time during the day to complete it? There just isn't enough time in the day! Good luck getting all done. I'm a new follower, I found you through Farley's link up.

    Mandy
    Caffeine and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you sound super busy Pauline. I am about to start reports too- I really should have started this weekend. Oh well, maybe Monday. God luck with the formal observation.
    Books, Bugs and Boxes

    ReplyDelete